Home Up

Sligo is the main city in the Northwest of Ireland and the 12th largest overall. Like most Irish towns, the streets in the center of town are very narrow and were never designed for the high demands of today's automobile traffic. It was
only in the late 1960's that the town adopted a one way street system. In the late 1980's the "third bridge" across the Garavogue River was finished, completing a bypass of the town's center. The addition has done little to relieve the town's congestion problem and another bridge is in the works. An additional issue is to provide adequate parking for the influx of visitors as Sligo becomes the main regional shopping centre for the Northwest. 

A view down O'Connell Street I took from Harmony Hill

Click on image at left for full photo

 Mail Coach Rd, one of the main streets into town from the south. On the left in the distance you can see the spire of the Cathedral of The Immaculate Conception which sits across from the Bishop's residence.

Click on image at left for full photo

The banks of the Garavogue River have been converted from derelict warehouses to a beautiful walkway full of cafes, shops, and restaurants.

Click on image at left for full photo

Sligo Abbey (the Dominican Friary of Sligo) was founded in 1253 by Maurice FitzGerald, Baron of Offaly. The Abbey has had a turbulent history, having been destroyed by fire in 1414, gutted during the Tyrone War of 1595 and attacked during the Ulster Rising of 1641. Despite this, friars continued to inhabit the abbey until the 18th century.

Click on image at left for full photo

The Sligo Abbey again.

Click on image at left for full photo

This black and white photo was provided by the Sligo Tourist Office. It shows a different perspective of O'Connell Street looking towards the General Post Office (GPO).

Click on image at left for full photo

Started in 1885 and built on the site of a Cromwellian Stone Fort which dated back to 1646, the Town Hall took seven years to complete at a cost of 5,000.

Click on image at left for full photo

The Garavogue River rushes under Hyde Bridge in the centre of town early in the morning.

Click on image at left for full photo

A view of Thomas Street ion Sligo from the early 1900's. The building on the left is now the ESB and the Picture Theatre on the right no longer exists.

Click on image at left for full photo

Statue of Yeats which stands at the corner of Hyde Bridge and the old Bundoran Road. The statue was erected in the late 1980's to commemorate the poet that immortalized Sligo in his works.

Click on image at left for full photo


Website created and maintained by GMS Productions - 2004-2013

(Disclaimer: This website has no official affiliation with the town of Sligo or any of the organizations mentioned herein)